Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jan 5-
Jon left my house on the 2nd with flu like symptoms. By Sat he had a lot of pain in his abdomen. I drove down and we watched an Aggie basketball game together but by 10:30 p.m. I convinced him to take a trip to the E.R. They put him on some heavy duty pain killer, tested his blood, did a CT scan and put an NG tube down his nose to pump his stomach which had become painfully bloated. Test results showed a bowel blockage and he was admitted to room 1008 on the 10 floor at 4:00 a.m. Once he was settled I found a left over box of pizza in a conference room, hid a piece in a coat pocket and devoured it in the bathroom. Shameless I know, but I was so hungry! Sunday and Monday were spent in the hospital and I was so optimistic that his problem had resolved itself. Unfortunately once they took the tube out his symptoms started coming back so he was scheduled for surgery on Tuesday at 3:00. I went home Sunday and got back in time for the surgery on Tuesday.  The doctor said it was the easiest, most simple fix you could have and everything went great. A small part of his intestine had become stuck to old appendectomy scar tissue and twisted causing the problem. I was so relieved and expected him to be released in a day or two. Tuesday night was a rough one as he was in a lot of pain. Amanda came and tried to provide some comfort.
Me and Jon trying to get some work done on our laptops
and the hospital's incredibly slow internet

The next day was better and all we had to do was to wait for his digestive system to wake up. They took his tube out and he got to have ice chips, then the next day started a liquid diet. I went back to work Thurs and spent the night at Mom's because there was a big snowstorm. I drove back down on Friday. The roads were completely covered in snow and they closed some of the schools. Friday was bad for Jon. His bloated stomach returned and also the pain. It's as if they hadn't fixed the problem. We were both very discouraged. He hasn't made any progress at all. Saturday night Justin and John Zobell came and gave him a beautiful blessing. I was so proud and happy that Justin honors his priesthood and would be willing to come do that. I was especially proud of Jon for being agreeable because he knew I wanted it done. Afterwards Justin, Kenzee, Amanda, Sarah, Nolan and I enjoyed dinner in the hospital cafeteria while poor Jon was put back on IV fluids. I spent another night in the hospital, went to sacrament meeting with the girls, spent the rest of the day with Jon and then drove home. It felt so good to be home but I hated leaving Jon in that torture prison with no hope of parole.
15 staples in Jonny's belly

No comments:

Post a Comment