Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween 2013

I decided to have a little party on Halloween night and invited Karen, Wayne, Mardyne, Craig and mom. I set the table with candles and my best dishes. The scariest thing about the meal was I used a soup mix that expired in 2001. It was well preserved and smelled okay. I added some good stuff to it including some pepper that was added unexpectedly when the lid popped off and emptied the entire contents into the soup. Luckily it remained in a glob making it easier to fish out. I also made green breadstick (witches fingers) using cocoa almonds for fingernails. The bread mix had also expired in 2001. I made myself eat both before going to bed with the idea that if it didn't make me sick I would go ahead and serve them. I also made a key lime pie (out of a can to save time) and a no bake cheese cake. I'm into quick and cheap. It's the only way to be when you work full time.

The doorbell rang and I answered it to find Mardyne and Craig standing on the porch. Mardyne was wearing a red "flapper" costume and Craig looked like a gangster. I wondered if they had brought mom with them who hates halloween. There, standing off to the side was the funniest sight that really warmed my heart. My 84 year old mother standing there in a "snow queen" outfit and boy was she playing the part! Karen was dressed as a clown. Wayne was dressed as "Sven" our soundman. Mardyne and Craig had brought pull pork sandwiches and a coconut cream pie which was perfect since I had confessed my "expired" meal, so we had a healthier choice. We had so much fun visiting and eating then being entertained by Daren's Wedding Video. Jodi did such a good job adding special affects to it.

Afterwards we were ready for pie. I asked mom to take a picture of Mardyne and I with our pies. I had a sudden urge to press one into Mardyne's face. I asked her which one she wanted? Key lime or cheesecake. Knowing the key lime would be the perfect face pie I suddenly pressed it into her face. She couldn't see but found my face with the coconut cream pie. It was still frozen though so really didn't do any damage to me or the pie. Wayne and Craig sat there with disappointed horror on their faces knowing they wouldn't be getting any of the pie. The best though was watching mom on her hands and knees scooping up a spoon full of key lime pie because she "just wanted a taste!" We all had a good laugh....at least us girls did. Afterwards we played "Quirkle" a new game Karen had brought over. I hope I never get the picture of mom in that white formal out of my mind.

Jon came up for the weekend. We had a really good time. He was such a sweetheart and helped me rake my leaves up, hang things in garage and even shoveled the 6 inches of snow we woke up to on Sunday morning. On Saturday afternoon we went to the Aggie football game vs Hawaii. The weather was perfect and the game too. Jon, Mardyne, Karen and I continue our tradition of visiting dad's grave at halftime. Afterwards Jon and I had a date to take mom to dinner for thanking her for tickets. Wayne, Karen, Dale, Myrlynn and Myndee joined us. We had a really good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment