Sunday, November 17, 2013

Train to Chico "Observe then Serve"


On Nov 6th I headed to Stansbury to tend the kids so Justin and Kenzee could have a much needed night out. It was sort of a present for Justin who turns 35 years old tomorrow. Man does that make ME feel OLD! I love those kids so much. Little Lucy Lu is almost rolling over and is such a good bubble blower (spitter). That night Jon dropped me off to catch the California Zephyr for Sacramento. Everyone I saw had 2 seats to themselves. I was awakened by a train official at 5 a.m. who said I would have to share my seat. They sat an elderly man next to me. He reminded me of my dad. I tried to make him feel welcome then after a few minutes went and found another 2 seats that were emtpy. The trip to Sacramento always feels so short to me. I had a 2 hour layover at the bus stop. The usual beggar lady was there. Her mouth was sort of bloody and I couldn't understand her. Ironically I wasn't lying when I told her I didn't have any money. I had left without a dime except for the $200 cash Grandma Pete donated to Jodi and which I knew she would need. (she ended up using it to fix her fractured tooth. I invited the woman to sit down by me and I made her a sandwich and gave her some juice, banana and a granola bar. I asked her where she lived. She said she was homeless and slept in the dirt. All her family was dead except for her 3 children. I hadn't recognized her at first but after hearing her story I knew I had visited with her before. Judging from her sad appearance I believed her story. I wish people didn't have to live alone and hopeless but many do.

Once in Chico, I had to wait awhile for Jodi to get off work to pick me up. It was so great to see her. Rich had the kids. The Stewarts are so nice to take her and the kids in but their house is so crowded. All five of the kids share a room. I stayed in Jodi's room. They all share a closet and there is a wall of dressers. They have all made the best of a hard situation. Jodi pays them $1000 a month for room and board. I was in an awkward situation at first as Karen & I had already scheduled appointments with realtors without realizing that Matt (that she lives with) is in the reality business. I talked with Jodi and Cindy about it and realized the only option in this case was to let Matt help us find a home so I canceled our other appointments. We spent Saturday house hunting. There was one home that I choose to stay in the car with the kids and Jodi came back and said she had found the one. She was just glowing. Unfortunately it was out of our price range. She is very cute though and just so grateful to be able to look at anything. Every house we saw she would find good things to say about it and never anything negative.
3 wild boys at church

On Sunday I decided to take the kids to church. It was good to have a place to go since Jodi was working. We arrived right at 9:00 but the choir was practicing. It got to be 9:20 and I asked a missionary what was going on. Turned out it was stake conference and wouldn't start til 10:00. I soon learned that we were not going to be able to survive sitting there for 3 hours so I sequestered us in a large classroom and let the kids run around til we were able to pick Jodi up from work.

Jack holding his booster seat for his field trip
Karen ready to go house hunting in her booster seat. 
On Monday I thought I might be able to go on Jack's field trip with him. I hurried to the school taking his booster car seat with me. They were able to use the car seat but not me. I was so disappointed and sat in the car and cried until I felt better. I want to spend every second I can with them but it's also hard to do that and try to house hunt. The boys just want to be at their dad's house because "he has cooler stuff" and it's not so crowded.

I found a cheap motel for Tues and Wed, got some groceries for it and Karen and Wayne (my guardian angels) arrived that evening. We took the boys to the motel and ate some food and let them jump on the beds until Jodi could come get them.

Shopping at Maisie Jane's. Wayne bought $60 worth of almonds!
We spent Wed house hunting eventually making an offer on Jodi's dream home on El Paso street. It was built in 1956 and was very small but she loved it.

Wayne really wanted to visit an almond farm. One of Jodi's boyfriends works at the Maisie Jane Almond factory so he set us up with a private tour. It was so fun and a good diversion from the stress of Jodi's situation. That night we took the kids to the kid center at In Motion fitness and Karen & I attended Jodi's "Body Blast" class. I was so proud of her. She is absolutely amazing at her job, really engaging the class with energy and a happy spirit. Nobody would ever have a clue of the stresses in her life. She puts on an appearance of having her life really put together then when we are alone the fears and tears pour out. I'm so proud of her resiliency and courage. She and Rich are now officially divorced but she gets no financial support. Every month though she is the top seller at the gym and they really love her.
Jodi and David in one of the In Mo offices

The kids have grown up so much and actually play outside like normal kids.  and Jack run around in their temporary neighborhood like a little wolfpack. Rocky couldn't wait to take me to his dad's house and show me how he can ride a bike. Jack is still darling and sweet. Diesel is 22 months and very smart. As he enters the "2's" his favorite words are "No" and "Mine" With his new little boy haircut he has gone from looking like a beautiful little girl to a handsome little boy. He talks in sentences in a language all his own. He knows exactly what he wants and how he wants it. At first he wanted nothing to do with me but warmed up after playing "Pony Boy" with him. He knows who is real mommy is though even if Jodi isn't sure about that. 

Wednesday night Rocky pulled out a tooth. Both Jodi and I were determined to remember to call the tooth fairy and we both forgot. I found him standing in the kitchen the next morning looking a little sad. After a little visit he opened his hand to reveal his tooth. I felt SO BAD! He is just so sweet and reminds me of Charlie Bucket. I told him I would have to go home today and tears rolled down his cheeks and he said, "But grandma you can't go. We haven't found a house yet!" I thought my heart would rip out. He so deserves to have some space of his own and we are going to somehow make it happen.

The El Paso house countered and we submitted a counter offer. We haven't heard back. I just know whatever happens will be for the best. I just hope that best happens soon. Man, I love that little family and admire Jodi so much. She has tried so hard to make the best of a bad situation and I know how hard it must be. It could be a lot worse though.

No comments:

Post a Comment