
Sept 12-I met Jon and his sister Anne at their brother Ken's home in Perry where I left my car and we started our 12 hour ride to Portland for their sister Ellen's official and legal wedding. She and her partner of 30 years were married once before in a "committment" ceremony. Oregon recently legalized gay marriages and so they were anxious to make it official. The ride was beautiful and went fast. The gorge along the Columbia river was really stunning and we took turns driving and reading from the book, "A Walk in the Woods." Jon and I started reading it about two years ago and I was determined to have it finished. We stopped at Multnomah Falls for a short walk up to a bridge. It is a popular tourist attraction and I could see why. Someday I'd like to take the time to hike to the top of the falls.
We made it to Ellen's house in Portland around 7 p.m. and I ate more than my share of Papa Murphy pizza. Jeanna and Ellen live in a cute little house with their little old dog (Scheetzu) Scooby and their adopted daughter Tori and her little 3 year old boy Marquis. He was so cute and fun. Their other daughter Jordyn lives in Seattle but was home for the wedding. She let Jon and I use her bedroom upstairs.

Saturday morning while Ellen and Jeanna were swimming we went with the girls and Marquis to the nearby park. Afterwards Jon, Anne & I rode the "MAX" train to the "Saturday market." It reminded me of when I used to ride the BART train into S.F. and get off in another world of strangeness. It was fun and felt truly like we were in a different world. Anne introduced us to Greek "Flavelas" which were so good .....and messy. There were many many craft booths and odds and ends of street performers.

That afternoon the out of town guests began arriving at Ellen's house. They had a large crowd and treated everybody to Thai food. After a quick rehearsal at 6:00 at the wedding center the ceremony was ready to start right at 7:00 p.m. It was in a beautiful building filled with lots of German art. From Ellen's family were Bill & Margie and their son Bryan and his wife Shelise, Anne and her son Jon, nieces Louisa and Jana, Jon and I. Jeanna's brother Cameron and his wife were there and their 2 sons. Her cousin and husband were also there. They had many friends attend. It was a beautiful ceremony. Marquis was a "flower boy" and led the procession followed by Tori and Jordyn and then Ellen and Jeanna. There was a great slideshow. Jon spoke introducing the relatives and told a funny story about how when they were younger Ellen got her head stuck in a milk can. Jeanna's niece did the same sort of introduction on her side. We sang a couple songs. Ellen and Jeanna gave a little heartfelt speech to each other and then the minister married them. There were many same sex couples in attendance. While I don't agree with Gay marriage personally I thought it was a lovely ceremony and am happy for them. They certainly have proved their devotion and commitment to each other and have provided a loving and happy home for their adopted daughters. I was glad Jon and I were there to show our love and support.
 |
| Anne signs the picture I got for them. The photo is from my own wedding mud run. |
 |
| Jon goes up to practice his talk during rehearsal |
 |
| Marquis and his mom Tory |
 |
| "TT" (Jordan) and Marquis |
 |
| Family pic with the minister |
 |
Me and Jonny at wedding
After the ceremony there were delicious snacks to eat while we visited and the brave ones danced.
Jon, Anne & I left at 7:00 (our time) the next morning. Once again, it was a pleasant trip taking turns driving and reading. We finished the book! Yay. When I picked up my car Kenny and Mary Ellen had dinner ready for us. I think nearly all of their family were there. I am slowly picking up all the Bischoff family tree.
Now it's time to pack for Greece!
|
Too bad you couldn't do all of Multnomah Falls... we loved it! Looks like a fun trip!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to have you and Jon at our wedding! Thanks so much for driving. It sounded like a fun drive. I hope you don't mind that I copied your pictures of the wedding into our photo album! Can't wait to see the pics and read about your adventures in Greece!
ReplyDeleteLove.