Saturday, January 9, 2016

Holiday Trip to Chico

Dec 26-Jodi and the boys picked me up from the train station around 2:15. Rocky got a cell phone for Christmas. He was so cute keeping in touch with me on the train and giving me instructions on where to go once I got off. I found him waiting for me at the top of the tunnel and he came running down with his hugging arms ready, his long blonde hair flopping like a California surfer dude. He looked so cute. After a big hug he offered to take my bag. He is so grown up and still so wonderfully sweet. Jodi looked great. We walked around the center of town a bit and found a spot for lunch. Everything looked so festive and it was cold but warmer than where I left. We had so much to talk about on the way home that we got a little lost but eventually made it to Chico.

Jodi ready for battle
Dec 27-I had so many projects I wanted to get done this trip. I really wanted to take them all to church but got talked out of it. At least we had a fairly relaxing day before I hit it hard the next few days. We did take time out for a nerf gun war in the backyard.  Jodi went to the store and bought 3 more guns so we'd all have one. I must admit I really got into it and even won a lot of our battles. We also played a Star Wars Monopoly game.

Diesel is really into Super Heroes












12-28-Our big project for the next two days was to get the boys room switched so Jack would be in with Rocky and Ryan would take over Jack's room. We worked all day long and at least got Jack moved over. I spent quite a bit of time trying to match over 100 single socks, cleaning Jodi's bathroom, vacuuming about 3 times a day (I'm not a big fan of wood floors). There are 2 large very messy trees outside so lots of debris gets tracked in making it is a constant battle. But her house is still in great shape. After 3 loads of laundry, the washer gave out. It has been leaking for quite awhile and then just died altogether so Jodi and I took the boys shopping tonight for a new one. No luck. I think she had decided to just try to find a used one so she can have enough money to take a little minnie vacation while I'm out here.
The boys are so good but they definitely have their distinct personalities. David (Rocky) is still the sweet peacemaker and really loves his brothers. He tries to be very helpful. At one point Jack and Ryan just would not help so David goes, "Grandma, I just don't think Jack and Ryan are cut out for this so I'll just do it." Jack is really sensitive and sweet too but doesn't "kiss up." He tells you exactly what he thinks and just has a natural "coolness" about him. He's a very good boy. Ryan (Diesel) is a crack up. The good news is that he is totally potty trained which is a big plus for Jodi. He has a huge vocabulary and loves to sing. He likes to tell you what is his "favorite" and knows more about games on his "Touch pad" than I do. (I know nothing) He thinks he is just as big as his brothers. If you are holding him and he wants down he will say, "Get off of me!"


Dec 29-Today was huge. We finally completed the boys rooms. Ryan loves his new room and even put himself to bed. Jodi will probably start sleeping a lot better now that he will choose sleeping in his own bed. Here is a picture of his new room and him "spooning" with Elsa from "Frozen." Bob also came over and we hauled a truck load of leaves off. He is so great to have around.
Ryan's new room
Ryan jumping on his new (old) bed

Jodi with her "Batmobile"
Dec 30-Another day of work today. I went to Kmart to get a few things for the house. I took Jodi's "Batmobile." When I was loading the car at the store, the alarm went off when I opened the rear door. I tried to call Jodi to find out what to do as the key was not working. Then I realized I had put my stuff in the wrong car. After a minute or so the alarm stopped but went off but started up again when I opened the door to get my stuff out! It was still sounding as I found Jodi's car and drove away.

Jodi and Rocky eating their worms and crickets
Rocky buys his edible bugs
Dec 31st- We left early this morning for our mini-vacation. It took about 4 1/2 hours to drive to Santa Cruz. We listened to Dave Mc Arthur's "Mechanic to Millionaire" podcasts. Jodi is trying so hard to stay positive and figure out how to achieve her dreams. Once in Santa Cruz we went first to the Mystery Spot but the next several tours were sold out. We reserved a 5:10 spot and made ourselves a lunch. Rocky bought a box of crickets and a box of larvae for dessert. I tried a larvae on a tortilla chip but couldn't do the cricket with the head and all. To wait for our tour we drove to the Roaring Camp railroad. The next ride was sold out but we got added to the wait list and made it. It was really fun but on the cool side. I remember taking my kids there when they were little. Next we drove to the Beach Boardwalk. We spent some time on the beach while Ryan had a nap in the car, then walked through the amusement park and to the arcade. Jodi bought $20 worth of games. They played laser-tag while I played with Ryan. We made it back just in time for the Mystery tour. It was a hillside in the Redwoods that had strange magnetic forces so the cabin leaned and measurements were crazy and unexplainable. It was really weird and a favorite of the kids.


On the Steam train
Having fun in the Redwoods at train stop






Experiencing the strange forces at the Mystery spot
Jodi and boys at Mystery Spot
Playing in the Arcade

That night Jodi had reserved us a room at the "Knight's Inn." It was just across from the Boardwalk and cost $114 but while the room was quite run-down, it was clean and had 3 bedrooms! It was perfect for us. Jodi took Rocky and Jack back to the boardwalk to finish using their tickets and Ryan and I celebrated New Year's Eve in our room jumping on the bed and watching the ball drop in Time's Square on TV. It was a wonderful way to spend New Year's Eve.

This is how the boys looked when we arrived at the motel.
New Years Day! I can't believe it's 2016. Each year feels like a month. I haven't even gotten used to writing 20__. I sometimes write 19__ for the year. We headed to Monterrey stopping in Capitola for breakfast. It is a quaint little seaside village. I thought I had found the perfect breakfast restaurant on the bay lured inside by the affordable sign in the window. Jodi and I took one look at the menu and about died. It was a special New Year's day menu which meant no pancakes (what kids will eat) and all entres around $17. We wondered how we could just share a meal between us but then opted to leave before they brought our waters. We drove a little further and found a place with pancakes. There was man sitting at a table next to ours. Ryan, who is always humming or singing a tune, was  humming the Star Wars theme song. The man turned to us and commented, "That little boy just sang every note in perfect pitch with perfect intervals....you need to get him in piano lessons." We had a good visit with him. Just listening to him we guessed he was gay which he confirmed. He was a retired music teacher and gave us a lot of music advice for the kids. He said David should play the french horn instead of the trumpet because he is left handed. He mentioned how his partner had passed away. I asked him more about that and was surprised when he referred to his partner as a "she." I had to wait for Jodi in the car as she was having such a good visit with him. She later told me that I had missed the rest of the story. His "she" had once been a "he."

We drove on to Monterrey to go to the aquarium. There was no place to park and I wasn't about to pay for it if I could help it. It all worked out because I just dropped them off parked several blocks away and walked. We all loved the place but it was really packed and a challenge trying to keep track of everybody. The boys all came out with little stuffed fish of their choice and I made some P&B sandwiches to eat on the way home.

Jodi, Natasha, Majira and Natasha's husband. He had made a camerone cocktail for us.
We got to Pleasanton around 6:30 to visit our old friend from 25 years years ago Natasha. Before stopping by we drove to our old house and although it was dark we stopped at "our" park. Jodi played on the old playground and I did a lap around the sidewalk I used to always jog on. It brought back so many memories. Natasha lives near downtown in a beautiful home with a great husband and adorable little boy. Another little boy is coming soon. Her mom came over and we had such a good visit and ended up spending the night. Natasha gave Jodi great hope of a possible job opportunity.





Zain, Jack and Ryan

Some of the giveaway clothes. I reclaimed many that I had given her. Yes!

We left early the next morning so we could get home in time to get in more cleaning and organizing. Jodi worked all day long on her bedroom, filling 4 large garbage bags of clothes and shoes. I am already taking home an extra suitcase filled with baby blankets for Jessika so I didn't feel I could handle any more. Somebody at Good Will is going to be very happy. I worked all day on the kitchen.

Jodi's new (used) washing machine leaks pretty bad and her vacuum broke just before I left. I wished I had a couple more days.

Ryan ready for church. We took the vest off. I think it was size 12 months.
On Sunday I got up at 4:30 to get Jodi off on her snowboarding trip (with 6 guys) to Squaw Valley. It was the chance of a lifetime so I encouraged her to go. She looked like a million bucks with all her hardly used equipment and clothing. She would text me during the day and tell me how much fun she was having and getting a lot of attention. While she was gone I talked the boys into going to church in exchange for them not having to do any work today. Teehee...It was Sunday anyway. Ryan was so cute with his little red sunglasses on that matched his shirt. He wore them all during the meeting. My goal was to get them to sit through Sacrament Meeting. Primary was a pipe dream that I didn't think would come true. Several people came up and introduced themselves. The first one happened to be David's new Primary teacher and she talked him into coming to her class!!! He then talked Jack into it. I was so happy. I took Ryan to the nursery as they were going to take the new Sunbeams from there to their new class. He saw some "babies" in there and protested trying to convince me that he was NOT a baby and just look how tall he was. That kid cracks me up. I also met Jodi's visiting teacher. Her name is Debbie and she told me that she feels she moved into this ward JUST for Jodi. She had asked to be her Visiting teacher because since they were already friends from the gym she figured she would let her come visit. She also said that she had been inactive and it was because of a visiting teacher who didn't give up on her that she is active today. I felt like the Lord was answering my prayers....first to get the boys to church (we walked so they could go alone in the future) and then to have them be welcomed into primary and to know that Jodi is not forgotten filled me with so much gratitude. David walked out of the church holding a Book of Mormon and so Happy. He talked about reading it, going to Primary when staying at his Mom's house and maybe even getting baptized. Everything unfolded just as I had fantasized. I kept my side of the bargain and didn't make them do any work all day. We relaxed and enjoyed each other. Jodi wasn't too happy with me but only because she wants church to be the boy's own choice and not to make Grandma happy. What's wrong with making me happy anyway? David read to me from the B of M, the Introduction and I often caught him reading it alone. Today made the whole trip worth it!

Mon-Jan 4-As is the usual case the bus was waiting for me with 1 minute to spare. This time I got a lecture about being 15 minutes early from the bus driver. It was a great trip....hard work as usual but lots of fun too.

This will be my last blog entry. Since I always use my blog to make a Memory Book every year I have decided to just make the Memory Book instead of doing it all twice. I think my mom is the only one who reads my blog but if you are one of those special friends who enjoys reading it, please let me know and I'll give you the link to my Memory Book. It is on the Internet and gets published each year. The reason I do it is because IT IS MY MEMORY as I lost mine years ago.

Thanks for being interested.
Kathi







































1 comment:

  1. I read them every week! So please send me the link.
    Love your sister in law, Ellen

    ReplyDelete