At 7:00 p.m. Jon face-timed me in to a gathering in his living room of friends and family of Amanda. She opened her mission call and announced she will be serving in the Romania/Moldova mission and leaving on Oct 16. It was very exciting. When I made my guess I had pulled up all the missions in the church and had a strong impression about Romania but had chosen Russia as one of my guesses thinking since there were many Russian missions, I had a better chance of winning. Mom won the closest guess with Ukraine.
July 4-I met mom at 7:30 a.m. for our traditional pancake breakfast over at the 10th ward. It was strange being just the 2 of us but the food tasted so good as since I've been on a diet I haven't had "normal" food in over a month. I headed down to Justin and Kenzee's right afterwards.
Lucy was all dressed up for the 4th.
| Lucy and big brother "Superfast" Nolan |
![]() |
| Nolan, Amanda & Ezra |
Later that day I took the boys over to Jon's to give their parents a break. Jon, Amanda, Sarah and I took them to a BBQ at the Bennions up Emigration canyon. The Bischoff's quickly sought refuge in the house somewhere while I tried to keep track of the boys. It was like unleashing Thing One and Thing Two. I think being at this new and beautiful setting in the mountains was too overwhelming for them. Nolan enjoyed running across the top of a picnic table, climbing and jumping off the huge boulders, and nearing succeeded in becoming a "water feature" over the backyard rocks. Trying to eat was futile and I figured my best strategy was to take them on a hike behind the house. Thankfully Amanda came along and was a great help! But despite my cries to Nolan to "watch out for the bear" he beat us back and I worried about what he might be getting in to. At one point I couldn't find either one of them and the hostess and I searched the house. They both were finally spotted walking down the road. Later while I was once again looking for Nolan, Ezra was in the backyard pouring water over his head. I found a puddle on the back patio and was told "not to worry-it's only water." I had them both cornered in the front and texted Jon that I was ready to go anytime he was. Luckily he got the message. On the way home I questioned whether or not I would survive taking them to the fireworks at Sugar house park by myself. I hoped I could talk somebody into going with me. Jon and the girls dropped me off near the park. As the boys and I got out of the car I asked Jon, Amanda & Sarah if one of them didn't want to come with us? It was more of a beg really. The image of all three of them shaking their heads NO still haunts me. The park even at 8:30 p.m. was a mass of humanity and I was so scared that if one of them got out of my sight I would never find them again. We were able to use up some time waiting in line for a couple "air toys." Nolan chose a jump house and Ezra chose an obstacle course next to it. Ezra got done first and when he saw Nolan in the jump house and I had no more tickets he had a meltdown. While dealing with that I lost sight of Nolan and started to have a panic attack. He had just gone exploring. We set our blanket on the side of the hill and settled in to wait for the fireworks. Of course Nolan wanted to sit right where he could see them lighting the explosives. Between the boys (fighting) wrestling, body slamming me and a small child behind us swatting me in the face with her glow stick, I wondered if I would last til dark. Pulling out my "Going on a treasure hunt" tickle poem on their backs saved the night. I must have performed it 50 times but it was worth it just to keep them occupied. Finally the fireworks erupted but they were shooting them directly behind a pine tree and out of view! After two more moves we finally settled in for 10 minutes of patriotic bliss. The walk home afterwards was mostly pleasant but I hoped the boys wouldn't hear all the foul language which seemed to surround us. We joined the masses in ignoring the traffic lights and cars as we flowed along taking up the road and sidewalks. I felt bad for those who had driven cars. As we neared the church house Nolan exclaimed, "We got to go to the fireworks and sleep at Jon's house. This is the greatest night Jesus ever made!" At that moment it was all worth it. But I don't think I'll ever try it again without at least 2 other adults to help me. Amanda and Jon had the boys bed all ready and they slept like angels.
![]() |
| Nolan and me ready to hike |
| Nolan & Justin |
Afterwards I took him to lunch at a Chinese restaurant in Tooele called "Sun Loc Yuen" (or something like that). The fact that there was only one car in the parking lot should have been a warning. It was horrible. The "orange chicken" was swimming in a special sauce of greese. I couldn't eat it but luckily Nolan loved it and so I would wring out each piece in a napkin before he ate it. Later that afternoon Justin and I took the boys to see the movie, "Despicable Me 2." The best part was listening to Nolan and Justin giggle.
| Nolan and Ezra in their "water car" |
July 7-Justin and I took the boys to church. I had to wait in Nolan's class for awhile for the teacher to show up. In the meantime he pretended to serve ice cream to another classmate from behind 2 chairs. I asked him what flavor it was and he replied, "Dead Alien." Hmmm, I bet Daren would like that flavor! Kenzee brought Lucy to church and I got to hold her most of the meeting. She is so sweet and mellow and I have a feeling after Nolan and Ezra that she will stay that way.......at least in comparison. Not that the boys aren't sweet, they definitely are but they are so Busy, Energetic, and have an unquenchable desire to figure everything out. Nolan reminds me so much of his daddy. And that's good. When I left I couldn't find Nolan to tell him goodbye. Well I didn't get too far in the car when he made his appearance. He popped out from behind the back seat with a "boo!" We both had a good laugh.



No comments:
Post a Comment