Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pears and Prov

Sept 21
I started bottling pears at 6:30 a.m. The tree produced 4 bushels this year. I gave one to Mardyne and one to Karen. It always seems to come out just perfect and this year was no exception. My goal was 28 jars and that's exactly what I got. It would have taken all day but mom came over to help me. Even though her hands are quite arthritic, she peel away and it was so fun for me and went so much faster. She is a pearing pro. During the process I got a call from Mardyne. She had received a message from Tim in Africa that "they were safe." That's all it said. She was in the car and asked if I could check the news for what he might be talking about. I googled "terrorist attack in Africa" and learned that Somali gunmen had stormed a popular mall that Westerners frequent and opened fire on everyone, killing and wounding dozens. It is such a worry having Tim and Gina and their 3 children over there. It is a very dangerous place and the embassy they work at in Nairobi is the busiest in the world. I'm sure Tim and Gina are very very busy right now with this latest development.
Mom is concentrating so hard while I pretend to slit my throat. You can't tell that's a knife I have held to my neck. 
We got finished around 11:30 and had just enough time to get ready for the Aggie football game against USC at 1:30. Usually I have to go to mom's to watch any games but this one was on Channel 4. We cheered loud but still lost 17-14. During the time outs me, Karen and Mardyne ran to the backyard to play frisbee. I didn't think it was possible to be so bad at the sport but I have really lost any frisbee skills I once had. Karen is a pro. She practices a lot.

After eating twinkies, cake, icecream, oreos and chips during the game, I figured it was time to go jog the Providence canyon trail. You can see from this picture of riding my motorcycle (Roland) near the trail head that I look like I've gained more rolls around the middle.


I just love the Providence canyon trail. It is a sanctuary to me. This time, my boss James Swink practically ran me over on his mountain bike. Maybe I shouldn't have my music playing so loudly.

Sept 17-Today Sandra Checketts, Karen & I did our annual "Bike ride Kathi to work" day. We rode the Deer fence to dry canyon then found a great trail leading down to the water research lab then headed West stopping for breakfast at Herm's Inn. It was so much fun. Sandra ordered one pancake which fed all 3 of us plus my dinner! What a great way to start the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment