Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas 2013

Mom's piano finally made it out of the basement of the Moulton family home. After 3 movers had said it couldn't be done, Wayne and Craig took all the keys off and other parts then a 4th mover hauled it out and delivered it to Marci in Kaysville. Karen thought it was like giving somebody a pie and then throwing it in their face, so she and Wayne drove down to her
house and made sure it got put back together. Marci has it all shined up and her family is very excited about learning to play it. So it makes a very happy ending to this story. The piano will be 100 years old in 2 years.

Lucy Lu Hoo and mom (why do I now look older than my mother?)
Grandma Moulton had her annual family Christmas party, this time in the clubhouse of her retirement community. It was beautiful and was catered by Culinary concepts. Everyone was there except Kami, Gina, Jodi, Katie, Daren, Ryan, Sydney and Amanda and Mariah who are on their missions. Sharlene and Gary Perigo came up too. We ate a delicious dinner then had a short "talent show" impromptu Christmas program which the "next generation" performed in. They were mostly grandkids of Mardyne who are all very talented. Bethany was dressed in a "jingle" skirt but was more interested in the phone that was playing her music. I was so proud of Sarah who performed a piece on the keyboard and participated in the Virginia Reel.


Grandma was happy  the little kids had a place to gather to watch movies. After dinner we danced the Virginia Reel. It was so much fun. It didn't matter who your partner was, we just joined in and had a great time. Mom gave every person an O-Aggie bar. I'm sure the whole affair about broke her bank but we do love to get together and enjoy being with each other. Now the great grandkids are becoming good friends. 

Jon, Sarah, Justin, Kenzee, Nolan, Ezra & Lucy "Lu Who" spent the night with me. It seems like it has been so long since I had a house full and it was so much fun for me. Jon, Sarah & I took the boys to find the winning Christmas lighted house. The winner must have something in their yard that depicts something about Jesus. Afterwards we sat by the fire and opened our gifts. Justin & Kenzee gave me a really cute orange casserole dish (badly needed), a brownie mix and I-Tunes card. I gave the boys a "whack a mole" game, a


changing pad cover for Lucy and a gift card to Red Butte Cafe for Justin & Kenzee. The next morning we had a nice breakfast. I was 3 hours late for work but it was worth it to be with my family. When I heard Nolan exclaim that if he didn't get to go sledding he would be ruined, I talked us into going to the hills by Cliffside. It was so much fun. Nolan is fearless. He loved my little yellow skidoo so I let Justin sneak it into the trunk for him. I may need to borrow it back though when Karen & I do our annual sled Prov canyon and Beaver Mountain treks.

I had to work a couple hours then headed to SLC to be with Jon for the holiday. We went to Jon's sister Anne's house for her annual Jerusalem dinner. We sit around a blanket on the floor and eat all finger foods...smoked salmon w/capers & cream cheese, olives, flat bread, avocados, shrimp, veggies, fruits, meats, cheeses, crackers, baclava, etc. It is so delicious. As we eat we go around and tell our favorite Jesus story. As we got to Jon he told a story of the "Woman in the tombs." He told how this woman was distraught and in mourning over the loss of her husband. Jesus came to her and told her to be of good cheer and follow Him and have Eternal Life. Everyone was real quiet but a few were nodding their heads as if they remembered. Sarah and I knew what he was up to and could hardly keep from bursting into laughter. I wanted Jon to be able to give his punch line so I finally said, "Where is that story found?" He answered "It's in Jon." Finally people started realizing he had made it up. After that we sat around the piano and took turns telling the Christmas story and singing carols.

Christmas morning Jon went through his holiday ritual. He is up at 6:30 to get the Christmas lights on, the music on and the fire started. Then at 7 he rings a little bell to get Sarah up. We get our stockings and open them while eating cereal. Vicki and Tonya came over at 8:00 in hopes of being able to skype with Amanda. At 9:00 we had brunch of coffee cake, fresh squeezed orange juice and scrambled eggs. Just as we were starting Amanda made contact. It was wonderful to be able to see her face on the screen and we talked for 1 1/2 hours. She looked so radiant and happy. Jon gave me a nice duffle bag on wheels and I gave him some new hiking shoes. I rode over and gave Daren's family their gift. Noel was at work but they agreed to ride out to Justin's with me so we would have a little time to visit. Justin's house was full of fun toys. Lucy was sick though. I didn't see the things Nolan had requested though...Santa's magic dust, a shrink ray and time machine. He is so funny and so much like Justin as a boy. Ezra's favorite thing was the little Beaver I had won at the Bischoff family Christmas party as a white elephant.

It was a very quick visit as we were headed to Anne's again for Christmas dinner. She had about 20 people over as well as most of her own family. She is just so fun and kind. It was such a good dinner and she has the perfect room, table and dishes to make it nice. It was a really nice Christmas.

I headed back the next morning as I had to work the rest of the week. Thursday night I spent with mom. Karen & Wayne came over to watch the Aggie football team beat No. Illinois in the Poinsettia bowl held in San Diego. It was an awesome game!!! I spent the night with mom. I need to do that about once a month. It seems to mean so much to her and of course it is the best bed and breakfast in the world. I love spending time with her.





Jon came up Friday night. We went x-country skiing near the summit of Bear Lake. It was so fun and felt good to be outside and out of the inversion. Later we went to an Aggie Basketball game. We sat up close and it was a whole different and exciting perspective. It's been a great week.
Karen and Wayne sitting in Jared's seats across from us






No comments:

Post a Comment