Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving week

a "selfie" of me and my brother Dale
Friday-Nov 21
It was the Aggie's last home football game and a rarity to be sitting with all 3 of my siblings. Mom didn't make it but we all sat in her seats and all the empty ones around her. It was a cold night but we stuck it out. I think mom would have loved it but was much warmer watching it at home on tv.




Sat Nov 22,

Me, Sarah, mom, Mardyne & Craig, Holly, Alysa, Lauren, Haley & Rachel, all went to see Ceci as Mrs. Lovett (the lead) in Highland high school's musical of "Sweeney Todd." I didn't know the story but now that I do and am kind of surprised that they would do a show about cannibalism but Ceci was amazing and it was really well done. I was so proud of her. That night Jon and I were invited to dinner at Paul and Phyllis' along with neighborhood friends, Roger and Jen. What great friends Jon has in his neighborhood! Later Jon dropped me off to catch the 11:30 p.m. train to Sacramento. The train was delayed for 4 hours due to an accident on the tracks. I really didn't notice since I found a couple empty seats, made a bed and went to sleep. The delay caused me to miss my bus connection to Chico though but luckily Jodi was able to come and pick me up. I could tell she and the kids had worked hard cleaning up the house for me. I know this because I spent the next week trying to keep it that way and it was pretty much impossible! That night we went downtown. Several streets were closed off and it seemed like everyone in Chico was down there. People were just parading in and out of the stores and there was a lot of Christmas entertainment going on.

Jodi's boss and his kids and us. We all have zombie eyes. 
My little Diesel "ET"
Monday-Jodi had to work all day. So did I. The boys were really good to just entertain themselves. I think it was a rare treat for them to just be able to be at home and play. I went to work cleaning out closets and drawers, and seeing what I could do to make Jodi's life a little easier. I did several loads of laundry a day, got groceries, vacuumed, organized, cleaned from early morning til late at night. Wooden floors and a 2 year old are not a good combination! I probably vacuumed at least 4 times a day because you could see every crumb. I found 5 baby bottles, lots of single socks and a variety of toys and odds and ends. Jodi's job is so stressful. I feel so bad for her. I don't know of anybody who works harder. She wants so badly to be able to spend more time with her kids.  In the afternoon I met her boss at the movies where he dropped off his 2 kids. I took all five to see "Saving Christmas." I should have checked the previews first. Not a single person was in the theater which should have been a clue to me. Luckily Ryan messed his diaper so I had to leave the rest of the kids and go change him. When I came back I talked them in to sneaking into a different movie. They were pretty relieved even if we only got to see 1/2 of it. Afterwards, after a lot of awkward and stressful confusion, we picked up Jodi and took all the kids meeting her boss for dinner. It took a very long time to get our food. I was happy to finally crawl into bed that night.

Finding the patio due to a very huge and messy backyard tree (I got rid of a lot of this stuff) because I believe "less is more." 
Tuesday we tackled the outside. The dog they had tried out for a day had chewed up blankets and pillows leaving batting strewn all over the yard. I couldn't find the patio as it was covered in tree debrie. Rocky and Jack really pitched in (especially after I promised them Christmas spending money) and we got the patio all cleaned up. Rocky was determined not to stop until it was finished. I was so proud of them.
2 very hard workers
Later I took them to K-Mart so they could buy Christmas presents with their cash. It was quite a trick taking 3 little boys into the store to buy gifts for each other and keeping it a surprise. Ryan, riding in the cart, was screaming for every toy he laid his eyes on. Rocky managed to find gifts for his mom and brothers. I kept the other two occupied while he made his purchases. He came back with a big bag. I asked him if he had enough money and he said no but that somebody in line behind him gave him some and so did the cashier! I helped Jack get his gifts then he wanted to give all his left over money to the guy outside ringing the bell. I told him it was a great idea but made him give me a dollar and enough for tax to buy some tape to wrap the gifts. We left the kids with Rich that night while Jodi took me to a "Javita" party. I quickly learned it was all for me to see if I would sell it in Utah.  I think Jodi thinks this is her ticket to freedom, to be in this pyramid business and really hoped she could "sign me up." I would do anything for her but I have to draw the line at trying to sell coffee to my friends and family in Utah. Even if I drank it, I don't have it in me for that line of work. I'd love to see her succeed and she really truly believes it is a miracle product. Now that they offer a healthy cocoa too, I think she was sure I would sign on. I'm afraid I really burst her bubble but I can't even see my friends and family paying $1.80 for a cup of instant coffee or cocoa no matter how healthy it is. I hope I am wrong. I hope she is so successful at it that she can quit her job and do nothing else but this business.

Jodi in her office looking exhausted
3 wild little boys and one tired grandma!
Wed-Jodi had a meltdown. She was so stressed over work because it had been a slower day and she was afraid of not making her "goal." She is their top salesperson but they keep raising her goal to unrealistic levels. She can't get a commission if she doesn't make her goal. It is criminal to me. I've never seen her so upset and worried.  She is such an amazing person with so much charisma and talent. She could sell sand to an Arab but she is a slave to that place. I wish so bad she could find another job where she could take breaks and only have to work 40 hours a week.  I continued to clean and was able get rid of 2 garbage bags of kids clothes (to their dad's house te-he). Less clothes=less laundry.
David and Jack never fight and they are so obedient. Little Diesel has hit the terrible two's. He knows what he wants and thinks he is just as big as his brothers. He insists he is a "big boy" but refuses to try using the potty or give up his bottle. He's too big now to even try using his "potty chair." Instead he just takes his used up diaper off, drops it wherever he is and pulls his pants back up! UG! One day it is just going to click that he is too big for diapers. I can see how Jodi really doesn't have time to make him grow up right now.  He is so cute and funny though and loves to sing songs. He doesn't appreciate me singing along. If I try, he says, "Be quiet." Then he will continue with his song. One of his favorites is "Alleluia" from Shrek. His pitch is just perfect. He insists on wearing a large red cape every day.

Thur- Thankfully Jodi had the day off!!! We made headbands to wear to dinner. I discovered that it is very difficult to argue or get into a serious conversation wearing such a headband. I should keep one on hand just in case any stressful discussions ensue. I fixed all my usual dinner favorites but we could not find a potato peeler. I ran to the store to get one but I could not get it to work. A paring knife would have to do. I later had a good laugh when I realized I had bought an apple corer! I had bought Jodi a couple kitchen chairs yesterday for her Christmas so we could all sit at the table.  We spent the afternoon decorating for Christmas and putting up their little tree that Campbells had brought out last year. The kids wanted to put their other little tree outside in the front. Little Ryan said, "I'll help you grandma" as I was trying to figure out how to keep it from falling over. Suddenly it was on top of him. I dug him out from underneath. Whenever he falls or gets hurt he quickly announces, "I'm OKAY!" He is adorable. I couldn't stand the tree with expensive ornaments out in the yard so while Jodi was at work I moved it to the front porch so it would at least be out of the rain. I admit I'm a bit controlling especially when it comes to taking care of things. I have been working on the boys saying, "Oh my Godzilla" instead of what they hear everywhere else and ending their prayers with "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen" instead of "The end."


Is David really giving the turkey rabbit ears? ha ha
I was thinking Jodi should have had girls but I remember Karen and I played the same kind of wild war games.  I love Rocky's creative "weapon holder pants." 
 
Afterwards Jodi invited her boss's 2 kids, Anabelle and Troy to come over. We made obstacle courses around the house and timed each other. I don't understand why I always came in last. Maybe because every inch of me hurts right now from all the housework I've been doing! Jodi really loved having a day off with her kids and so did I. I couldn't resist taking a picture of these 3 boys playing some destructive war game. No wonder Jodi likes Anabelle to come over. She is so calm and sweet! 

Fri-It was "black Friday." I spent the day cleaning out the laundry room. The kids had had head lice so there was a lot of bedding and stuff toys in bags in there. I worked hard getting it all organized and trying to maintain keeping the house clean. (An impossible task really). Jodi went to work early that morning looking so cute and perky. I picked her up that night at 6:30. She hadn't had a break or lunch all day. She literally collapsed on the living room floor and sobbed. It was so hard for me to watch. I wish so bad I could just carry her away to a happy place where life isn't so hard. I'm convinced that if my family had not stepped in to help her get into a home, she would have found a way to escape this life.  I was so glad I had cleaned her house and made some soup. I ordered her to bed and we all climbed in and ate pumpkin pie. I'm thinking I might need to come out every black Friday to help her get through that day. She had helped over 200 angry people. A large banner had been erected outside the gym advertising 1/2 off memberships for that day but it was a big lie, so of course there were many excited people coming in to get a deal only to find their hopes dashed to pieces. I remember when Jodi was one of those people. She had wanted a membership more than anything so I had hired her to make all my home videos into dvds to earn the money. She could relate to their dreams so it was an especially hard day for her.

Sat-I got in my last load of laundry, fixed breakfast and tried to keep the house picked up before heading to the bus station at 7:30 that morning. Jodi sat on the bathroom floor holding her boys like she never wanted to let go. I hated to make her break away to drive me to the bus. It was raining hard. As usual I cried half way to Sacramento. I wish I didn't live so far away so I could help her more and see those kids more often! I wish life were easier for them but they do have a lot to be thankful for and so I need to try to focus on those things. My sweetie had parked my washed and gassed car at the train station for me. I got in at 3:15 a.m. and was grateful to only have to drive as far as his house. As we got closer to SLC I could feel the stress of my own job begin to crush down on me. One day I will be able to quit and then I can spend more time helping my kids and that will make me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment