Monday, December 29, 2014

Amtrak Panic Attack

Dec 27-Jon dropped me off at Grandma C's house around 9:00 p.m. so I could have a visit with Jodi and the kids before taking them to the train station. We were all relaxed and having a nice and calm visit. Since the train was to arrive at 11:00 p.m. and leave at 11:30 we decided to leave at 10:30 which would give us plenty of time to make the 10 minute trip to the station. As we left, Jodi said she was really hungry and asked if we could stop at Taco Bell for a quick burrito. Since we had Plenty of time I pulled into the drive through only to find there were several cars ahead of us. This is fast food we thought. It can't take long. We both soon started having second thoughts when the cars in front of us weren't moving. I decided to back out but found 5 cars had stacked up behind us. We were trapped! The high side curbs and then sloping hill made it impossible to escape. As 11:00 came and went without any cars moving I really started to panic. I got out and talked to each driver in front of us explaining our dilemma. The first car finally moved leaving just 3 more. The car in front was filled with some teenage boys who were busy on their cell phones and couldn't have cared less. I asked each driver to try to maneuver their car as close to the window as possible in hopes we could squeeze by on the right. There wasn't room. I went back to the first driver to see if they could just pull up let us out. He said, "Dude....there's nothing we can do about it." The second and third driver seemed willing to help. I went back to the car and found a $20 bill and Jodi gave me $7. I decided to start bribing with $6. Six dollars would show that was all the money I had. I would pull out the $20 if necessary. We were running out of time. As I walked up with the money, the first car got their food and pulled away. The second car just pulled right through without paying or getting food. I wanted to kiss her. The next car said he'd just pay then pull into the parking lot and come back for his food. I was so grateful. We pulled up. I was planning to just drive through but he was ready to take our money. He said, "$1.39." I handed him $2 and told him to just give us the fastest thing that would buy. He handed us her burrito and we pulled out. I went as fast as I dared drive with Siri trying to navigate on both our phones. She was giving us different directions. I decided to trust Jodi's but missed the turn causing us to get stuck at a red light. I checked to make sure there were no police then did a U-turn against the red light realizing Diesel was now on the floor of the back seat and the kids didn't have their seat belts on. We got stuck at another red light and a homeless man started for our window. I locked the doors feeling horrible that I wasn't helping him around Christmas. We made it to the station. There was a patch of ice right behind the car making it almost impossible to stand upright to get the 8 bags out of the car. I swung 2 around my neck and grabbed 2 more. Each of the boys grabbed one. Jodi grabbed the other two and somehow managed to carry Diesel in one arm. Luckily Jodi had her ticket on her phone so the conductor could just scan it. He assured us the train wouldn't leave without us. We had to walk what seemed like a mile to the second to the last coach car. I was lagging way behind. I had been sick and hadn't eaten for 2 days so my pants were falling down. Finally in desperation I stopped and tried to get the bags off my head as they were choking me and I needed to pull my pants up which had fallen below my butt. A kind conductor saw me struggling and came to help. I announced to him, "My Pants Are Falling Down" He said, "Well, we don't want that to happen" and grabbed the biggest bag picking it up like a toothpick. I held onto my pants with one hand and grabbed the 3 remaining bags and followed Jodi and the kids onto the train. Little Diesel made it up the steep steps but collapsed in the aisle and we trampled over him in our haste to find some seats. Rocky found some and came running back to help me. The goodbye was very quick as I was afraid of making the trip with them. No sooner had I walked back to the station but the train took off. I had looked at my watch. They boarded at 11:29 and it took off at 11:30. That was a bit too close! I was so wound up I didn't get to sleep for several hours. I don't think Jon did either after hearing the story. I was so grateful they made it. What a wonderful time we were able to have together.

1 comment: