 |
| That is solid ice.....not snow |
Jan 23-Karen has been begging me to go sledding down Millville canyon with her. It's hard to find a chance to do that since by the time I get home from work it is dark and weekends are spent with Jon. I decided to take a couple hours off work on Friday and we would go for it. Karen borrowed Sharli's Huskies for protection from mountain lions and because they love it and we hiked 1 mile up the road. It was treacherous because it was nothing but a sheet of solid ice with rocks embedded in it. We had to walk along the sides. We knew it was dangerous but figured riding the zippies down would be the safest way. Karen kept assuring me that when it is snow and not ice it is a blast.

I was going too fast and in trying to slow down I slid off the sled and scooted across the rocks and ice on my backside. I knew I was okay but was in a lot of pain...the kind that makes you feel like you are going to throw-up. I laid in the middle of the road for a few minutes feeling a new respect for those ice dancers who get tossed in the air during a routine and come down on the hard ice. They never lay there moaning and groaning like I did but always jump right up and go on with the routine as if the fall was one of the required elements. I was grateful to limp away with just some bruises but also a great memory.
That night I stopped at the Huntsman cancer center in SLC to visit Robert Bolton. He is on his 3rd chemo treatment. He seems to be doing pretty good and seemed very grateful for the visit.
Sat 24-Jon, Sarah, me, Paul and Phyllis went x-country skiing up the Albion basin road and down a green run of Alta. I was really dreading the downhill for fear of falling on my sore backside. I got away with just one fall but tried to get up really quick like the ice skaters. Paul and Phyllis are always a pleasure to be with and continue to amaze me with the way Paul's blindness doesn't keep him from enjoying the outdoors. Tonight Jon and I went to Fiddler's Elbow for dinner so we could watch the Aggie vs UNLV basketball game. It was really exciting but we lost in overtime.
No comments:
Post a Comment