Monday, March 9, 2015

Nolan's Birthday Weekend

Friday March 6 Justin, Kenzee and kiddos picked me up after work and we went to the "Jump Zone." It's a fun place once you get used to the stinky smell of bare feet and sweat. Even little Lucy loved it. I watched her pick up a ball and carefully try to present it to another little girl just her size. It was adorable. Justin was probably the only one there in nice pants and a long sleeved white shirt, but that's just him!
Lucy is a little thrill seeker. Here's Justin in his special jumping attire.
After wards Nolan and I had a contest to see how many pieces of pizza we could eat at the Pizza Pie Cafe. We actually tied at 6 a piece but I think I ate more salad than he did, plus grabbed an additional cinnamon stick on my way out the door. But hey, I can't be outdone by an almost 8 year old! 

Saturday morning, Justin, Nolan and I headed to Beaver Mountain. I pretended to be Karen and borrowed her skies, clothes and other important items. :) It was a beautiful warm day. I haven't skied in about 30 years but the newer skis were so short and fat that it was really easy. I tried a few runs on my board but the snow was definitely for skiing. Nolan was so fun to watch. He would plant his little skies far apart, sort of crouch down so his butt was close to the ground and just bomb down the hill. Kenzee had signed him up for a "learn to turn" class at 1:00 so Justin and I had a couple hours to ourselves. We seemed to be about the same ability and it just turned out to be an awesome day.
Just had to get a picture of me and Justin's "helmet hair." 















 I had bought tickets for me, Sarah and Jon for the last (and coach Stew's) Aggie basketball game of the season but Jon got stranded in DC so they didn't make it up. It was quite the ticket fiasco not knowing at the last second who would be using the 4 tickets I had paid for. I ended up giving Craig and Mardyne 2 and took Mariah as my date. We sat on the back row and had a ton of fun but the game ending was very sad. We lost by about 5 points to a sell out crowd. Coach Morrill will really be missed. He and I both moved to Cache Valley 17 years ago so we have sort of grown together.

Nolan thinking about his next move. 
Nolan standing behind "His" sign.
Sunday-Mariah gave her mission talk. It was perfect. I was so proud of her and lots of people came up afterwards and told me what a great job she did and how proud I must be of her. Ha. It sure is fun being a twin! Karen served a house full afterwards with home made cinnamon rolls and fresh fruit. I got a sad call that afternoon that Anne's brother Ray Winn had passed away. He was such a neat guy. I liked him a lot. Later that day after barely winning Nolan in a game of Chess, we all went to Ryan's place park. It was just too nice outside to stay in the house.






































This was right before Justin got his finger caught in the tire swing chain pushing the boys. Ouch!
Ezra on the climbing wall
I had Grandma Petersen and mom over for dinner. It turned out good and we had a good time visiting and watching Nolan open his presents. He is so grown up now and is turning out to be such a great kid. He is lucky to have a mom and dad who really are raising him right. I gave him a Swiss pocket knife for his birthday with his name on it. I have been saving it since Switzerland.

 
I didn't realize the candles I put in the cake were "trick" ones. Nolan got a kick out of it though. Kenzee sure makes yummy cakes. 
It has been a meloncholy weekend for me. Ray Winn died, Louise Mills died this morning, Mari Jo's son Kaden is in the ICU at Primary Children's with a brain bleed and the realization that my kids will probably never be able to come "home" again because I'm selling my house all had me a little teary today. Plus I was disappointed Jon didn't make it up. Life was really too hectic this week though for him anyway.  I just need to buck up but I'm not very brave about changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment