Sunday, June 16, 2013

Visit to Chico

June 6-11

Thur-June 6-Today Mardyne turned 60! Mom, Karen, me, Anjali, Craig, Alysa, Kate & Josh met at the retirement home park for a quick picnic. Mardyne and Craig have moved into the Canterbury and are loving it.
Mardyne turns 60. Karen & I wore black
That night I started my trip to Chico. I stopped by Daren's. There's always something interesting to see there. He did not disappointed. He had built a 19th century coffin from some scrap lumber he got from work.

I might be a bit disturbed but am just grateful that he is productive and doesn't have a criminal record. The world needs diversity and Daren helps to provide that. Jon dropped me off at the train station for my 11:30 p.m. departure to Chico. I could feel the stress melt away as I found two seats to myself on the California Zephyr. The ride seemed especially short as I didn't even find time for a nap. The bus ride didn't go quite as well. After a 3 hour wait in 110 degree heat (I was the only one sitting in the sun) I was joined by a very tall and skinny black woman named Gloria (Candy) who at the end of the ride wanted my phone number. I thought about providing a bogus one but glad I hadn't when she actually tested it. It was so great seeing Jodi and the kids. They are so grown up. Diesel is darling and full of personality with long curly hair and big blue eyes. He is filled with happiness.

 I wanted to spend quality time with the kids but found there was so much to be done I soon became grateful for tv and video games. Jodi was busy helping with a "Relay for Life." The next day we went to Lake Oroville to help celebrate Matt & Cindy's daughter's 7th birthday. Jodi had forgotten the gift so I ran to the store to buy gifts and watermellons (neither of which were needed or noticed). The 7 hours at the lake was torturous trying to keep the boys from drowning and Deisel from eating all the food.

There was no beach, everyone was drinking, and a few extra kids joined the party including a 7yr old boy with an earring! Chico is a culture shock for me.

The next morning Jodi ran in a Relay for Life for cancer then headed for work. She wanted me to come to her Power Jam class. On the way I noticed the missionaries on bikes and pulled them over. Choking back tears I pleaded with them to not forget about the Sorensons and to have someone please contact Rocky about cub scouts. I love these guys so much and just want them back on the path that I consider the road to happiness. Jodi's class was amazing! She had so much energy. It was as if she was teaching a class but living a dance. Everyone was smiling. I was so proud of her. She is truly gifted at this. We were there at 6:00 to bring her home from work but couldn't find her for 45 minutes. I finally gave up and headed home quite sure that she had been abducted and was being raped and tortured somewhere. I was never so relieved to finally get a phone call from her with, "Where are you?"

Mon-June 10-We were going to celebrate Jack's 5th birthday today. I had some errands to run so started by getting groceries. It soon became apparent that I would not survive any more errands with Rocky and Jack. I realized I might save money by buying some of the things I needed at the dollar store but would lose my sanity. Food and gas are terribly expensive here and I don't see how Jodi will survive living here. Jack came running through the store with a small card. I demanded he return it immediately and stay with me. That is the memory he now has of my visit. How I wouldn't buy him this little card and it was his birthday! He'll probably talk about it at my funeral! I decided it would be safer to leave them home and just take Diesel on my other errands. Rocky said they'd be fine, so I hurried worrying all the time about them and hoping I didn't get caught. It is just too hard for one person with 3 active little boys! I know I used to do it all the time but not sure how. I brought back a birthday balloon to Jack hoping to make up for his disappointment at the store.
The boys in their usual TV Trance. 
The dead bananas illustrate how there is not time to eat them let alone throw them away!
What Diesel was up to while I was cleaning up his lunch.

That afternoon, even though it was raining all day I took the kids swimming at the gym. We had a good time although we had to stay in the little indoor pool. I was so relieved to get them all out without any drownings. Once we got to the front door still dripping wet, Jack realized he had lost his shoes. After much pleading Rocky agreed to take him to look for them. They returned successfully but announced the horrible huge "tummy butts" they had witnessed in the locker room. (scarred for life) That night we met Rich, Rick & Pam, cousin Jason, his wife and daughter, Matt & Cindy and their kids at Round Table pizza to celebrate Jack's 5th birthday. Rich had planned the party and made a sign and crown for Jack. Cindy had made a batman cake and Jack made sure everyone in the restaurant knew it was his special day. Diesel had a blast and was just as big as any of the kids, trying out all the arcade games.
Diesel was having the time of his life and proved it by later showing us his new cheer leading routine. 

Tues-June 11-Today Jack officially turned 5. I hated to leave.

I feel like I worked my guts out and did everything I could to provide 4 days of relief for Jodi. She got me to the bus station just in time. When I told Diesel, "bye bye" he started screaming and holding out his arms. I thought my heart might drop out. I tried to be first on the train so I could stake out two seats.  I quickly made it my home and pretended to be asleep while others boarded. Soon I heard a dad with a small child coming up the aisle asking each row if they would mind sitting in another seat so his 6 yr old wouldn't have to sit alone. When he came to me he asked but I ignored him hoping he would notice that I was sound asleep. I heard him ask the girl in front of me. I peeked one eye through my sun glasses and saw the disappointed look on her face and her hesitation. He offered her $20 and still she didn't say anything. It was too much for me and without my brain giving my body permission I suddenly  jumped up and said, "I'll help you!" At that moment I would have been willing to spend the trip sitting on the toilet if needed. He took my seats and I nearly floated down the aisle feeling the spirit and knowing I had done the right thing. I found an empty seat next to a young lady explaining that I realized she wanted both seats but that we just had to help that dad. I spent most of the time in the observation car and later found two empty seats together in another car so I could sleep. I found my car in the parking lot just as Jon had promised, drove to take a little nap at his house then headed straight to work. Now I have to wait 4 more months to go see them again.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a whirlwind trip! Those boys sure are growimg up fast... and so handsome, too!

    ReplyDelete