Saturday, August 17, 2013

24 hours with Mom

Aug 16-17

It's been a very long time since I had a weekend at home (not working) and a very long time since I spent any length of time with my mom. I love hanging out with her so decided I should take advantage of this rare opportunity. I picked her up Friday after work and we went shopping at Kohl's. We each bought blouses and I got some shoes and jewelry. Next we went to Cal ranch and found a screw to fix Dad's Robbins Award trophy. Mom gave each of the young men helping us an extra buck to "buy a drink." After that we went to Sizzler for dinner. I ordered all you can ribs. I stopped at 5, not because I couldn't eat anymore but I felt sorry for the waitress because they were so busy. Then we drove up to the cemetery to see the new plaque on dad's headstone. I surprised mom by telling her I might as well spend the night. She acted SO excited. We stayed up til almost 11:00 chatting.

The next morning she fixed us cinnamon raison toast and then we went to the Gardner's market. We had so much fun buying jewelry and just walking around. Someone there mentioned they missed our band playing there and that we were their favorite. Mom even found some pierced earrings and a lady who would convert them to clip ons. I was planning to go home at that point but she talked me into eating a sandwich with her. Then the weather got so nice so we went for a swim. By then we were just having such a great vacation, we didn't want it to end. She had wanted to drive by 1st dam so we went to Cold Stone for ice cream before heading to First dam. We had so much fun picking out what we wanted. I decided after we got in the car that I wanted a picture to remember our fun date so we went back into Cold Stone and I told the kid who had dished up our ice cream that I had changed my mind and wanted a different flavor. The look on his face was priceless. Then I said, "Not really, I just want you to take a picture of me and my mom." We ate our ice cream at First dam, went and got gas and a few groceries,  I drove her by my dream home in River Heights,  and then I took her home with me. She sat on the bench and hammock while I trimmed my lawn and washed my car. Then we sat on the bench on the front porch and ate watermellon. It was 24 hours I hope to never forget. I just love that woman so much and cherish every minute I get with her. I think she had one of the best days of her life......at least she made it seem that way.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Hey, don't you have anything better to do on vacation that read blogs. Comeonnow.
      Hope you're having fun. My mom is going to kill me for posting that picture. She commented several times that day how she wasn't wearing a bra and hoped she didn't run into anybody she knew. ha ha.

      Delete