Sunday, June 22, 2014

Ez's b-day, Maura's wedding and Homestead

Tues, June 17 I celebrated little Ezra's 5th birthday by spending the night. For some strange reason he likes to snuggle with Grandma K. Nolan sneaked in on the deal too. I gave him a "bug vacuum" which actually sort of worked if the bug isn't much of a heavy weight. Lucy was her cute sweet self.


Sarah Denton and Thomas Moulton (pioneers)
 Wed I headed to the UPAA legal assistant conference held at the Homestead in Midway. It was bitter sweet realizing that this would most likely be my last work conference. I really have enjoyed going to them. Staying at the homestead was very nostalgic for me as I have so many good memories of vacationing there a family growing up. I have vivid memories of being there when Ryan was a baby. I can still picture him in his yellow jammies and bouncing him on the bed. I adored him!
my grandma Moulton's grandparents

Since I arrived a little early I visited the Heber cemetery and "Memorial Hill" and was surprised to see my dad's name on one of the monuments for serving in WWII. The view was spectacular and I could sure see why dad loved this valley.

Lots of Moultons and Murdocks


That night I went to the movie "Maleficient" in Heber. Our new LA, Stefani is the only one who would go with me. I bought a ticket for "seniors" age 55 and over. Stefani is 45. She asked if she could have one too and the clerk said, "Well, I KNEW YOU WEREN'T a Senior! Ouch!  I said, "Thanks a lot!"  All night it sort of bothered me and I kept thinking how so many people lately have made comments to me that have made me feel old.   I can't even count how many people have asked me if I was retiring. Retiring? I have 8 years left! It is definitely feeling like my time to be done though. I sort of feel like I've "worn out my welcome" at work and I need to move on.

 Thursday morning I attended Kris and Maura's wedding in the SLC temple. The presiding bishop and family friend Gary Stevenson performed the ceremony. He did a really great job. There were over 40 weddings in the temple that day! Afterwards I made it back to the conference in time for lunch then headed back down picking up Jon and we went to the wedding reception in Kaysville. It was in a beautiful backyard. The weather was just how I dreamed it would be for my wedding which didn't happen. They served Cold Stone icecream. It was a lot of fun. I took Jon back to the Homestead with me.

Back: Anne, Janice (our adoptee from Hurricane), Nancy and daughter Brenna, me
Front: Trudy, Roswitha, Stefani

Here is a quote I got from the conference that I really liked. It reminds me that we always should be kind to others because you just really have no idea what they are going through.


“We know nothing of the trials, sorrows and temptations of those around us, of pillows wet with sobs, of the life-tragedies that may be hidden behind a smile, of the secrets cares, struggles and worries of that shorten life and leave their marks in hair prematurely whitened, and in character changed and almost re-created in a few days. It may be that at this very moment the person is passing alone through some agony of sorrow, where the teeth seem almost to bite into the lips in attempt to keep feelings under control, when life seems a living death from which there is no relief. Let us not chose to add to the burden of another the pain of our judgment. We must stop this continued sitting judgment on the acts of others.” William George Jordan



After the conference which ended about noon on Friday, Jon and I had lunch at Fanny's at the Homestead then we rode our bikes along the bike path on the North end of the valley and took the "Dutch Hollow" trailhead. There were a many trails to choose from but we followed "Cottontail."  The next morning we attended a "visitation" for Brian Claflin (neighbor) held at Jon's ward, then went for a hike up Millville Canyon. It was so green and beautiful. It was a "dog day" and I believe there were as many dogs as hikers! We had a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment