Sunday, July 19, 2015

Swim Lessons

Karen, me and our little preschool super swimmer Daisy
at the snack window.
Karen hired me to "lifeguard" for her swim classes from July 6-17 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. She is such an amazing teacher and this year is celebrating 25 years of teaching. She has taught 1192 kids to swim. It is so fun to see her teaching the kids of the kids she taught in the early years. I was so impressed! She has a wonderful method that teaches the students that is so fun and entertaining. They use pennies, rings, hoola hoops, marvin the monkey, humpty dumpty's wife, rubber duckies, fireman's pole, bricks, kick boards, boogie boards, life jackets, water noodles, flippers, lot lots of games and videos when it rains. The first class of the morning were 4 preschoolers. Two of them were wild little fishes, one was very shy and cautious and the 4th always had some sort of physical owey. Karen would sometimes have them hold on to the buoys that were hooked to the rope separating the shallow from the deep. One day the rope was not in the pool. The little "owey" girl kept asking, "Where are the boobies?" We finally figured out she meant "buoys." After each class the students are coaxed out of the pool with swedish fish candies. She also has a snack stand where they can buy treats between classes.

The first couple days were hard for me and I wondered if I would last. I don't really like public pools. I don't like to even share my water bottle so the thought of swimming with other people's spit, snot and possibly urine sort of freaked me out. I was always grateful for the nice hot shower at the finish to wash it all away. But I slowly got used to it and loved seeing the progress the kids made. The time went really quickly. I kept busy during the days. Besides running errands, doctor and dentist appointments I got in a few runs, went dirt biking with Karen, hiked the Wind Caves (taking a face plant), went water skiing with Karen, movies, lunches with sisters and friends, concert at the tabernacle, shopping and band practice twice a week. There is always so much to do in Logan and each time I come back I marvel at what a beautiful place it is. The best part was getting to spend the nights at mom's. She is a wonderful cook and we make great roommates.

I think I gained a few pounds as I found myself eating at Karen's then also at mom's. We all celebrated the end of another successful season with Campbell's treating us to dinner at Chuckarama. I made myself sufficiently full!

We would hike or bike on the weekends. Here is Jon, Darin and Amanda on Wolverine mountain.
 The weekend after swimming lessons we rode "Round Valley" in Park City with Ron Snarr, Jen Kohler and Paul & Phyllis.



1 comment: