Sunday, September 20, 2015

Pine Wood Derby

Me and Lucy having fun with selfies
Sept 17-I got to have a sleepover with the little Stansbury Park nippers. Visiting them is always a big Self-Esteem booster for me because they go nuts when I show up. After my bread making, potato baking disaster earlier this week, my self-esteem really needed a boost!






Sept 18-Nolan must have asked me 5 or 6 times if I was going to come to his Pine Wood Derby tonight. I drove back out to Stansbury and surprised him. He had worked so hard on his car and it was obvious it was a big deal to him. The scout guy running the track spent about 30 minutes spelling out the rules regarding His track that he uses 161 times a year and spent $1500 on. The Pine Wood Derby is obviously his life. By the time he was done I wanted to jump over the track in the worst way but tried to restrain myself as it would have been a $5 fine for each violation. It's wonderful that there are people like him out there who really get involved in this way. The derby brought back sad memories though of not being able to do really fun things like race cars because we were "girls." I sort of felt bad for all the little girls there and wondered if they felt jealous too. Luckily there are many more things for girls these days!

Anyway, there were 26 cars racing (just from Nolan's ward). Each car raced on each of the 4 tracks. It was very exciting. Nolan got to experience being first and last. He was one of 11 cars to make it to the finals and came in 8th place out of those. It was really fun though and I was so glad I went.



Ez wanted to show me his bike riding skills even though he is wearing his pjs.

The boys made this amazing contraption out of "constux" that used to be Justin's. Notice the shoe lace draw bridge and the tripod elevator. 

Nolan sets his car on track #4

His car took 1st in this race

He even designed the car himself watching youtube videos.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, you have entered a new level of grandparenthood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have and the cool thing is that I just got my old comcast email back which is linked to this blog so now I can see the comments again. :)

    ReplyDelete