Sunday, September 27, 2015

Stunt Run

Sat, Sept 26 THRILL SEEKER STUNT RUN

The "Bone Bandits" (Me, Karen, Sandra Checketts, Josh and Mariah, Josh's mom Marie, his aunt Rachel, sisters, Lauren, Erin and Joanne and her husband Drew) got together to run in the Thrill seeker's Stunt Run to benefit Bone marrow research in West Jordan. It was a 5k course around a large park filled with huge obstacles. As I looked around at the hundreds of people I concluded that I was the oldest person doing the course and Karen just 7 minutes behind me. How did that happen when we are both just 18? My goal was to make it through without getting hurt.

The race let about 35 people through every 10 minutes beginning with about 30 yards on hopity hops. The next stunt was trying to run through giant swinging bowling pins. My lane, on the North end was hard because you couldn't see both sides. I ended up just crawling underneath them.



There were lots of slides that you either had to climb a wall with hand holds or a net.

 I think my favorite was sliding through tunnels of foam.
Sandra and Karen emerge

Mariah, me, Sandra, Karen

I made it to the 3rd platform!

 Another favorite was crying to make your way across a narrow ledge while punching gloves would randomly pop out and knock you off into the water. I was so surprised that I made it so far but on the very last hand hold my fingers slipped off and I fell in.

Probably the hardest was one where you had to jump out and hold onto a swinging padded bag, swing across a pool and land on a floating platform. Everyone would cheer if anybody could make it. Most either fell off trying to hold on or missed the landing. For some strange reason my landing was perfect on my feet but getting out of the obstacle was my problem. I got out and slid down the inflatable on the other side landing on my butt in a mud puddle. Sandra helped me clean off in a drinking fountain.
My most successful stunt. Somehow I landed on my feet. Getting out was another matter!
 Karen was not still not feeling well and suffering from flu like symptoms. She is a faithful watcher of "American Ninja Warrior" and I think has been training for a race like this her whole life. She misunderstood some instructions about keeping your feet up so as she came near the landing she held her legs up and dropped landing squarely on the circle platform on her butt. She assumed the landing was made of soft spongy material but it was very hard and she didn't move for awhile. Later I found her bent over trying to breathe. She has broken her tail bone 3 times and may have done it again. Luckily she was wearing her motorcross padded shorts but admitted to me that she was in a lot of pain in her back. She didn't let on to anybody else though and finished the race. I felt so bad for her.
Dirt bike race

This was my scariest because you had to get the pole to swing to the other side. You can't see the large gap you have to swing across. 


 The last obstacle was a zip line. You held to a handle then had to let go at just the right time to launch onto a slide. It was the best!

From left: Joann, Drew, Mo's head, me, Josh, Karen, Rachel, Erin, Sandra, Marie, Lauren

It was a lot of fun. I just wish Karen hadn't hurt herself when she was the one who really put this all together. I'm glad I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment